Tuesday, December 20, 2011

holiday traditions

I'm linking up with Becky & Aly again for the Christmas link up- this Tuesday's theme: traditions. 


1. D's family passed down the tradition of ordering pizza the night we decorate the tree. We added on watching each of The Office Christmas episodes last year. 


2. Every December we are going to get Lyla a pair of Christmas PJ's. When I was a little girl we used to get a pair to sleep in on Christmas Eve but I've changed this one to last all month.

3. Every Christmas morning my mother always made monkey bread. its absolutely delicious, full of calories and worth every bite. She also makes a few batches of my great grandmothers amazingly addictive rolls. I haven't tried these on my own yet but they are absolutely to die for. They contain a few secret ingredients, one being a few mashed potatoes.


{sadly this beautiful monkey bread isn't mine but you get the picture}

4. This is more a tradition for every holiday, but my great grandmother used to send me a holiday card with a $1 bill inside. My mother and father started it again this year for baby L- she's up to a whopping $3 for Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas. 


5. Location ornaments- this is another one passed down from Dan's family. For every place they lived (Army family so A LOT) his mother had an ornament made. These cute little houses are all over our tree. Being a Navy family we plan to do the same. 


6. And finally- the reason for the season, we attend church on Christmas Eve. Although we will be straying from that this year because Dan has duty. I also love the idea of baking a cake on Christmas day when the kids are little and talking about Jesus and the meaning of his birth. We have a few years for that one though.

1 comment:

  1. I love monkey bread! It's one of my favorite desserts! That is such a cute idea for holidays! It will be fun to look back on all the cards someday too!

    ReplyDelete